WALK-IN patient Policy
Thank you for choosing Dominion Road Surgery to provide for your health care needs. Our goal is to
provide our patients with quality medical care, hence why we are able to provide a walk-in clinic in the
mornings for you.
However, being a walk-in clinic there are still certain procedures and safety measures we need to have in place to ensure the safety of our patients, doctors and staff. We try our best to accommodate your needs however we would appreciate it if our patients also try to understand the policy below.
Please take a few minutes to read and understand this policy.
1) For the safety of our Doctors and patients please be aware that once we are fully booked all the
available appointments during the walk-in sessions in the morning, we will NOT be taking any
2) If you are here for a prescription please be aware that if you have not seen the doctor regularly (6
monthly), for your safety and government requirement you will need to be assessed by a doctor
before we can provide you with the medication. This means if you walk in to get a script and the
doctor’s slot is full, you will need to make an appointment for the next available time (this might not
be on the same day).
3) If you are here to request regular medication for a family member the same rule applies as above.
Sometimes we are unable to provide medication for a family member.
4) If your case in an emergency, one of our nurses or physician’s assistant will assess you first and will
book you in to see one of our doctors. If your case is a real emergency an ambulance will be called
and you will be taken care by the hospital staff. If you case is not deemed an emergency then you
will be requested to make a booking to see the doctor or you may choose to go to White Cross in St
Lukes to get looked at.
5) The following WILL NOT be prescribed or given refills for during a walk-in appointment:
• Opiates – i.e. Oxycontin, morphine, codeine, etc.
• Anti-anxiety medications
• Sleeping pills
• Benzodiazepines – i.e. Lorazepam, Clonazepam, Diazepam, etc.
• ADHD medications – i.e. Adderall, Ritalin, Vyvanse etc.
Even if it is part of your regular medication list these drugs need to be assessed each time you come
to get a refill for them.
We practice a zero tolerance attitude to violence and aggression towards staff and others. We are
compassionate and understanding of the stresses placed on people and we support staff to assist patients at times of stress. However, patients and their families must realise that their access to services provided by Dominion Road Surgery doesn’t include the right to verbally or physically abuse staff or display aggression towards staff.
IF YOUR BEHAVIOUR MAKES OUR STAFF FEELL UNCOMFORTABLE OR THREATHENED,
POLICE WILL BE CALLED AND IT COULD RESULT IN WITHDRAWAL OF SERVICE AS
WELL AS NOT BEING ABLE TO RETURN TO THE CLINIC.